Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Film Reaction

After watching the film today, I am surprised at how many different types of blocks that can be in the road for teachers. Not only are some teachers worried about losing their students due to programs being demolished, but teachers become involved in student's lives and have to make choices about what will be best for them. The little boy who lived in an abusive enviornment and the student finally told his teacher about it. What a situation to be in when you have a student tell you what they go through when they are not in school. I think that is what affected me the most is our future classroom will not be the perfect setting, will not have perfect students who get everything, we will not be perfect ourselves, but it is the things we do for our students that is perfect. The teacher who got her students to talk to the board about the program, when they themselves were the reason that the board gave the 2.1 millon dollars for the program. The fact that the teacher reported that one of his students was being abused even though that boy left with many of his friends question what was going on. There are things we will do in our lives that we don't want to do because we are afraid of the outcome., but are things we will do because we are teachers and the only thing that we should put before ourselves our the students. My goal with my future students is to be aware that there are going to be problems, and that nobody is perfect. I hope to make a difference in their lives even though at that time they may not see what I have done for them. I hope that I can also be on that personal level that some of those first year teachers were with their students. Not to just become friends with my students, but to also connect on more of a level with them than as if I were just a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true, there are so many things that can and most likely will go wrong when you a teacher whether it's your first year or 20th year. I'm sure there will be times like these that you have described and I'll look back and say I never thought this would happen to me. One of the hardest parts will probably be not being able to explain to the other children in the classroom why this student had to leave. As a teacher you can't come out and say oh his parents were abusing him at home. There is confidentiality that we must follow and there is no easy way to tell students why another had to eave when they are in a situation like that. I don't even know how to begin myself, hopefully there are people at the schools that teachers can confide in and hopefully they can help to point them in the right direction. There are just to many situations out there that we as teachers don't have control over but I know we wish we did.

    ReplyDelete